Saturday, May 31, 2008

Melanchton, eat your heart out

I SOOOOOOOOOO should have been doing work today - had this big scheme worked out where I was going to get tonnes done and then drive into the city to grab a few things and then reward myself by having a coffee at the bookstore. BUT NUUU. Just couldn't bring myself to read about historical Canadian women. BARF. Anyways, at least I was halfways artistically productive.

So here we have Horse-Archer!Copernicus. The story behind this is interesting - I was thinking a while back about how awesome Nic would be if he were a horse-archer given the historical origins of Poland and all that. THEN I came across a quote of Philip Melanchthon (one of Luther's buddies) the other day where he says this (can't believe it): "Some believe that to expound such an absurd matter, as that Sarmatian astronomer has done, who would move the Earth and stop the Sun, is an excellent thing. Verily wise governors should curb such talented rashness." WOAH HOSHIT TALK ABOUT RACIAL CONNOTATIONS. The Sarmatians were a semi-nomadic horse society living in eastern Europe around the height and fall of the Roman empire. They were considered barbarians by the Romans so essentially Melanchthon is calling Copernicus the same in an effort to usurp his credibility. Slick. There's a bit of venom there to say the least. At the time, Poland, or Prussia as it was then, was a bit of an academic backwater despite Krakow University so this could be part of the reasoning behind the comment. Just really seemed significant to me since I'd never come across it before.

ANYWAYS. Here we go. 'That Sarmatian.' This will get finished at one point where I don't feel as guilty for neglecting my work. I'm really happy with it so far though I don't know why I draw his nose so vastly long. Was looking at the 1500 portrait today and realized for the first time that it's really quite short. Just rather... prominent. Lots still needs to be changed and there is NO historical accuracy. He's supposed to be carrying a spear in his right hand with his bow slung across his back somehow. Still need to sort that out a bit better. His leg really makes me happy for some reason. And I think the neck is still too long. Anyways, will not pick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

woahh Coppeh looks so badass, with a weapon and everything. Not very scientific, but it's cool that he can be at both ends of that spectrum xD