Saturday, January 12, 2008

More Painting

I finished W.B. Yeats a couple of days ago - black and white acrylic on canvas - and decided I wanted to do another in colour of Septimus since it's been a few years since I actually used colour. Actually more like six. Agh! So I did the preliminary sketch for it tonight and concentrated as much as I could on getting the proportions right since I usually screw them up and then the entire face looks disjointed (i.e. Yeats). I can already see a couple of things I want to change after looking at the smaller, thumbnail version on here. The jaw line still bugs me a bit and I need to take some shading off the right side of his nose - it's all quite anal for the sketch but I find the more time I spend here, the better the finished painting looks. I really like the mouth but I might have to move it up a tiny bit. And I HATE drawing lips because they always look so fake. Blah. Nose could use to be wider at the bottom too.



I was originally going to try painting this with oils but I want to do it well and I've never used oils in my life before. And lastly, just one more quick sketch I did the other day. It was for the front of a friend's Christmas card and I liked it so much I kept the original and sent her the scan. Mwaha. Teh ebil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooo NICE. I'm looking forward to seeing your painting. And the sketch looks excellent, indeed. Teh Sep.

Man lips = difficultyyy because you don't want them to be BAMRIGHTTHURRLIPS cuz they look too feminine, but they still neeeeed them. Ick.

Oh yes, you are teh ebil. lawlz.